Since first opening in 1898, the Queen Victoria Building has had a mercurial history. Designed by George McRae, it replaced the original Sydney Markets and was named to honour the monarch’s Diamond Jubilee. Elaborate Romanesque architecture was chosen for the grand building, which housed a concert hall, coffee shops, showrooms, warehouses and a wide variety of tradespeople. Over many decades, the concert hall became the city library, offices proliferated and many tenants moved in.
In 1983, our sister company Ipoh Gardens was awarded a 99 year lease in an agreement to restore the QVB to her former glory and in November 1986 she re-opens to the public.
The Queen Victoria Building is only a 10 minute walk from The Tank Stream Hotel.